Sunday, June 13, 2010

My Dear Ed

I am sure all of you who are reading this know my loving husband, and I want to tell everyone what a trouper he has been through all of this journey to this point. Knowing your wife has to have a liver transplant and knowing as well, that your daughter is not only willing but determined to be the donor can creat a great amount of stress, I am quite sure (since I have theoretically only 1/2 that amount). Ed has never once questioned the decision I made that we should go ahead with the transplant in this way, nor has he ever complained about all the doctor visits to Piedmont Hospital and other local places for shots or tests and 'listing'. We also had to travel several times to UVA for visits of various sorts and never a thought about .."do we really need to do this - can't we do it here" sort of thing....he knew how important each step was and was always there to do whatever necessary to make it happen. He did wonder from time to time if I was spending too much time researching things on the computer but knew it was in my best interest and would make me feel more comfortable about it all. As "the day" came closer I could tell he was becoming more anxious and just wanted to be able to DO something to make the transplant work out just perfectly...and the only thing he could do was figure logistics which was not really possible since no one could anticipate what sort of outcomes there would be for either Ashley or myself.He became a little frustrated with that but realized that was the way it was. Two days out with the little glitch we were all a little on edge not knowing if all the plans would change but we got through that evening with his suggestion of playing our family card game of "Push" and had some good laughs and tried to relax. With the all clear and the preop day at hand everyone was feeling good! On "THE DAY" Ed was as calm as a cucumber...to possibly his surprise! MY brother Tom and his wife Barbara as well as their daughter Meredith and her husband Kyle were here to give Ed any needed support. I am sure their being here made the time pass more quickly and that he enjoyed the visit with them and all the support, love and caring they provided. (Unfortunately I didn't get to see them and if I had, I would not have remembered!)As the days passed, Ed revealed that his calmness was in part due to his complete confidence in the team of doctors who performed each surgery. With the minor setbacks, he was of course attentive and concerned but knew the wonderful nurses on 5 West were equally attentive and both he and they wanted nothing more than to be sure I was completely on track. Now that some of the worst is over (well, we hope that is the case), his body is showing so by his feeling like he is coming down with a cold so he headed off to the lake this AM to be away from us (to his regret) which he knows is best. He will return when that has passed and the kids will head over for a few days of sun and rest in another location! I am so lucky to have such a loving, caring, thoughtful and devoted husband..I could not ask for more! ~Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment